Worse performance with different CTranslate2 quantization types

Hi! I’ve tried to export a trained model in different formats (“ctranslate2”, “ctranslate2_int8”, “ctranslate2_int16”, “ctranslate2_float16”). Models were trained on the same training and validation data. Training data is an english-russian corpus of 3,6M rows. All the models were trained with exactly the same params (only changed export_format), with 36 000 steps. The results I’ve got is a bit confusing - larger (in terms of size in Mb) models are worse on test data in comparison to a base model (export_format = “ctranslate2_int8”). I’ve been thinking that the exporting a model in other format than “ctranslate2_int8” should perform better. The question is - Does a model exported in, say, “ctranslate2” should nesseserly perform better than a model exported in “ctranslate2_int8”. Do I have correct results? Here is the table with my results.

Thanks for help or any suggestions!

Hi,

You are comparing models that have different performance to start with.

For example ctranslate2_float32/compute_type=int8 is the same as ctranslate2_int8/compute_type=int8 but you got different scores. It means most of the difference is coming from the trained models and not from the output format.

You should compare the output formats for the same model. And this comparison is already visible in your table: for ctranslate2_float32 you can see that the different compute types have little impact on the score.

I see what you mean. Thanks for your reply.