Odd validation curve as training batch size changes in OpenNMT-tf 2.18.1

I am seeing some strange behavior during training. I train in many small (~50k sentence) files, running a validation evaluation after a single pass through each file. I use a transformer with relative position. My source inputter is a SequenceRecordInputter, and my target is WordEmbedder. The systems train for days, slowly appearing to converge.

I occasionally had out-of-memory problems (but not on the three cases I’ll show below). I changed the training batch size from the default (about 3000) to 111, and the training runs picked up the batch_size reduction in the configuration yml, as the bash script cycled through training files. Unexpectedly, the validation score went up 1-3 BLEU points, and the Loss dropped dramatically.

I returned to the large batch_size, and validation scores got worse. I repeated this and got another valley in Loss (or peak in BLEU). For each of the nine models I was training!

The figure below has validation loss curves for three models. In each curve you can see the three drops in Loss caused by three decreases in batch size.

I don’t understand this behavior. With any nonconvex optimization there’s the chance of local optima and batch size dependence, but I would expect that mostly to affect the validation slope. In particular, the dramatic, repeated drop in quality when I increased batch_size is a mystery to me.

Have others seen or have an explanation for this behavior? Is it perhaps related to a bug in OpenNMT-tf 2.18.1 (“Support” could well be a better category than “Research”)?

Thanks in advance for any ideas,
Gerd

Can you post your training and model configurations?

Certainly. Apologies for the delay. I was away.

Training command:

onmt-main \
--config REL_L7_N1_W20_M24_D0/config.yml \
--model REL_L7_N1_W20_M24_D0/model.py \
--auto_config \
train --with_eval \
--num_gpus 2

model.py:

import opennmt as onmt

def model():
  return onmt.models.Transformer(
      source_inputter=
          onmt.inputters.SequenceRecordInputter(input_depth=480),
      target_inputter=onmt.inputters.WordEmbedder(embedding_size=512),
      num_layers=7,
      num_units=1024,
      num_heads=32,
      ffn_inner_dim=64,
      position_encoder_class=None,
      maximum_relative_position=24,
      dropout=0.00,
      attention_dropout=0.00)

config.yml:

model_dir: REL_L7_N1_W20_M24_D0
data:
  train_features_file:
    REL_L7_N1_W20_M24_D0/data/subtrain.ru.vtf.gz
  train_labels_file: REL_L7_N1_W20_M24_D0/data/subtrain.sp32k.en
  eval_features_file:
    REL_L7_N1_W20_M24_D0/data/valid.ru.vtf.gz
  eval_labels_file: REL_L7_N1_W20_M24_D0/data/valid.sp32k.en
  target_vocabulary: REL_L7_N1_W20_M24_D0/data/wmt19-ruen-en-32k.onmt.vocab
train:
  batch_size: 111
  save_checkpoints_steps: 10000
  maximum_features_length: 2500
  maximum_labels_length: 200
  max_step: null
  single_pass: true
eval:
  external_evaluators: BLEU
  steps: 1000000000

This config.yml is for the small training batch size (with good performance). For the large training batch size (with poor performance), I remove the batch_size line from the “train:” section.

The odd behavior persists now, with a week more training. I caused another mesa in the loss curve by temporarily increasing batch_size:
There is a corresponding valley in the validation BLEU score.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Gerd

You are training with --auto_config which comes with the following parameters for Transformers:

train:
  batch_type: tokens
  effective_batch_size: 25000

As you set the batch size to 111, I’m not sure you considered this value to be the number of tokens. I suggest overriding all batch related parameters to make sure they are consistent. You can consider disabling gradient accumulation for now (set effective_batch_size: null).

If I understand this correctly, you have multiple training files. I think this can explain the issue if the data is not properly shuffled. What happens if you concatenate all training data?

Guillaume,

I think batch_type may be my main problem. I’ll try setting it to examples and see what happens.

I’ll also experiment with disabling gradient accumulation.

For each training run, I randomly draw 50 thousand lines from a 6 million line training set. So the data are shuffled. I believe my SequenceRecord files are too large for me to give all the training data at once.

Thanks for your help,
Gerd