Lua-zmq installation doesn't work properly for me

Hi,

Just to let you know…

In your installation procedure here :

http://opennmt.net/Advanced/#translation-server

The lua-zmq command line doesn’t work for me :

luarocks install https://raw.github.com/Neopallium/lua-zmq/master/rockspecs/lua-zmq-scm-1.rockspec ZEROMQ_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ ZEROMQ_INCDIR=/usr/include

It returns with a compilation error.

But, this one, simpler, without URL, is working :

luarocks install lua-zmq ZEROMQ_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ ZEROMQ_INCDIR=/usr/include

Also, it lacks this installation in order to make the server properly running :

luarocks install json

Best regards,

Etienne

1 Like

And the server ran correctly when you did that? (Docs are changed)

The server starts, loads the model, and waits for queries.
I’m now looking for the code to send something to translate.
I’ll inform you when ready.
:wink:

All is working properly…
:wink:

Thanks for sharing, but the command WITHOUT URL doesn’t work my side, the previous one WITH URL works for me, but i can’t start the server. I posted my error on another article - “Error when starting the translation server”. I run your command WITHOUT URL and get compiler error as below:

Any suggestion is much appreciate.

Since “lua-zmq” is a standard package from luarocks, I think the short command without URL is certainly the best one.

Perhaps, one of us did something before that makes a difference at this step…

On my side, with URL, I got these errors:

gcc -O2 -fPIC -I/home/dev8/torch/install/include -c src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c -o src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.o -I/usr/include
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c: In function ‘monitor_recv_event’:
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5831:2: error: unknown type name ‘zmq_event_t’
  zmq_event_t event;
  ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5904:39: error: request for member ‘event’ in something not a structure or union
  if(zmq_msg_size(msg) != (sizeof(event.event) + sizeof(event.value))) {
                                       ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5904:61: error: request for member ‘value’ in something not a structure or union
  if(zmq_msg_size(msg) != (sizeof(event.event) + sizeof(event.value))) {
                                                             ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5910:16: error: request for member ‘event’ in something not a structure or union
  memcpy(&(event.event), data, sizeof(event.event));
                ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5910:43: error: request for member ‘event’ in something not a structure or union
  memcpy(&(event.event), data, sizeof(event.event));
                                           ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5911:16: error: request for member ‘value’ in something not a structure or union
  memcpy(&(event.value), data+sizeof(event.event), sizeof(event.value));
                ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5911:42: error: request for member ‘event’ in something not a structure or union
                                          ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5911:63: error: request for member ‘value’ in something not a structure or union
                                                               ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5912:22: error: request for member ‘event’ in something not a structure or union
  ev->event_id = event.event;
                      ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5913:19: error: request for member ‘value’ in something not a structure or union
  ev->value = event.value;
                   ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5915:5: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘zmq_msg_more’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  if(zmq_msg_more(msg) == 0) {
     ^
src/pre_generated-zmq.nobj.c:5919:19: error: request for member ‘value’ in something not a structure or union
  ev->value = event.value;
                   ^

Interesting. There seems to be only one combination that works for me:

• Lua version: 5.1 (as outputted when running luarocks)
  • libzmq < 3
  • luarocks install lua-zmq

Torch main web site explain how to install LuaJIT, and Lua 5.2 :

I got some troubles, at various steps of the whole installation process of Torch/OpenNMT, with both of them.

Finally, with some small workarounds (on this first install, I didn’t take notes to be able to remember), I succeeded with this configuration:

• latest LuaJIT as explained on the Torch web site
  • Ubuntu libzmq-dev (said to be version 2.2 in synaptic), installing libzmq1 (said to be version 2.2 in synaptic)
    sudo apt-get install libzmq-dev
  • and then, default luarocks install lua-zmq, including the path specs as explained on OpenNMT web site
    luarocks install lua-zmq ZEROMQ_LIBDIR=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ ZEROMQ_INCDIR=/usr/include

Remark : afterwards, when installing the zmq python package, for the client test, I also got the libzmq5 package installed (said to be version 4.1.4 in synaptic). But, this was after succeeding with the server part.

1 Like