OpenNMT on Python in Windows: Not working

Done!

I would use Linux for this, but buying another 6K laptop with 2 GPU’s just for experimenting is a tad too much to ask, I’m afraid. This is my main system, and installing a dual boot on that is a bit scary. Unfortunately Windows is the only viable system to use on work computers in an office environment. It’s also the main system used by translators, because their clients use it, and because their translation software like memoQ and Trados runs on it.

Hi @Loek,

I can assure you that the best way to use MT frameworks is to have a separate Linux system and use a service to connect these systems with CAT tools in Windows OSes. You don’t have to build a very expensive Linux server for a single user or small team setup – actually the only expensive component for OpenNMT should be a ~600 euros Geforce 1080. Besides, it’s impractical to use OpenNMT on the same machine you translate as it takes a lot of resources and time, at least for training.
I don’t know your use case, but OpenNMT has already paid for my Geforce 1080 I bought a few months ago :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What would be best is a live service that continuously updates while the newest translations are fed to it. Is that what https://www.modernmt.eu/ does?

I agree, that would be ideal, but AFAIK there is still the limitation that, in order to fully benefit from new/updated data, a new engine must be trained (both for SMT and NMT). I’m not familiar with modernmt, I became aware of it a few days ago, but it looks very interesting. It seems it uses Moses and the python version of OpenNMT, with an extensive REST API. I’m really curious though if the update function of the API actually applies to neural engines too.